Two churches came together to form Chiques United Methodist Church. On November 7, 1957, the congregations of Mount Joy and Salunga Methodist Church approved a plan of consolidation. The new congregation purchased eight acres of land located north of route 230 at the midpoint of the two old church buildings on March 11, 1958. Chiques United Methodist Church is still located at this site.
Mount Joy United Methodist Church was founded as a class meeting in the home of Samuel Meldrum in 1834. In 1836, a building to house the congregation was completed. The red brick building pictured on the left was erected in 1852.
The Salunga Methodist Church was founded in the living room of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Peifer on May 9, 1889. Mr. Peifer gave a site for the church to be built upon a stone foundation. The finished church was dedicated on October 27, 1889. In 1892, the Pennsylvania railroad’s new line needed to go through the center of the church. The railroad provided the congregation with a new site and the church moved in 1893.
On March 29, 1959, Easter Sunday afternoon, the groundbreaking for Chiques symbolized the first step in uniting the Mount Joy (established 1881) and Salunga (established 1889) Methodist Churches. The name Chiques was selected because the new property was located midway between Big and Little Chiques Creeks. The cornerstone was laid on June 7 and the new building was dedicated November 10, 1959 by Bishop Fred Pierce Corson.